Friday, August 05, 2011

heArt Journaling Week 2...Sandy Sunshine

Here's my heArt journaling post :)
These posts are going to be a bit wordy, so please make yourself comfy and enjoy :)


Last week's heArt Journaling with The Greeting Farm...


"Create a free-spirit spread (two-pages) using the concept of Sand, Sun, Beach, etc. This could be a tribute page to a past vacation, or some sort of paradise, beach-related.... Use any stamps you want, colors, etc.

To be completely honest, I am not a "real beach person"...
I don't like the ocean, can't swim... I don't like to layout in the sun and bake, I get too hot and antsy, no patience to just lay there and I am not the type who can fall asleep there either...
That is why the left side is all dark and messy! The scary windy waves that have a mind of its own; you never know how big that wave is going to come crashing down, even when you're just standing on the edge trying to get your toesies wet! Sometimes one comes rushing in and your soaked from the waist down, ugh! and don't even get me started on that pulling feeling {shiver}


HOWEVER... :) 
I do like the beach for it's "romantic walks", "bring a book and a blanket", "watch the sunrise and sunset" type of beach girl ;) During the spring and fall months :) It's picture perfect! and the sand is my comfort zone... 
this is why I made the right side as bright as possible, with happy words of encouragement and wonderful memories :) 

"You are right where you should be" 

I really enjoyed using my pencils to create a rough sketch and then my watercolor crayons, but I can't seem to get the hang of these crayons. I feel that they are not vibrant, enough color for me... 
I then found and dusted off this Unity Stamp set called "Where You Are" and my October Afternoon 8x8 pad and just kept cutting, Modge Podge-ing and stamping! Everything tied together perfectly! and because I love to work with bright colors, I used my acrylic paints again :)  and I am happy with what I accomplished! 

Some peeps have asked about art journaling supplies, so here's what I did to build a small stash to start with... I went to Michael's with my coupons - they have their own art supply brand now, I bought their acrylic paint set of 12 small tubes (I have never painted before, so this was a good set to start and experiment with). A package of their multi-paint brushes. A medium size bottle of Modge Podge and then I used my coupon on the set of watercolor crayons and then again on the book. 
FYI! Memento Inks take a looong time to dry over Modge Podge, 
you really want to use something like Staz On so you don't smudge and stuff! 

And that's it! Everything else that I've used or will want to use is already in my stash :)  See! There was no excuse not to give art journaling a try ;) and now, falling in love with it :) 

Thanks for letting me share with you today! 
Have a fabulous and happy weekend :) xoxo 

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Your spread is absolutely beautiful! Each week, I'm eager to see what you make for the assignment! I'm with you about not liking the beach. Last time I went was really the LAST time I'll probably go in a long time (or at least go near the water). I was holding on to two of the junior high girls in my church because they were scared when a huge wave came at us all of a sudden. In my attempt to keep them upright, I got pulled under! I got water up my nose, which I HATE, and for the rest of the day, there was sand EVERYWHERE! I kept pulling sand out of every crevice of my bathing suit! The only GOOD thing was that after the beach, my fiance (who was my boyfriend at the time) and I went to get sushi, which began my love for sushi.

JLJ Designs said...

Margie - Fab hints. I love your page. Do you modge podge directly in your book? I was afraid to try that...

Jen

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee this!! And I love love love the story of your love/hate relationship with the beach! That sun is awesome and loveeeeeeeee the quote! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Danni said...

I really admire you for your journey into this art journaling world! You.Rock. This is just amazing and fabulous!

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by PSW Shop